My Turn...

What. A. Day.

I don't think I will soon forget this experience. Let's start with the fact that I hadn't had anything to eat or drink for over 12 hours (horrible, psycho Sausha was on the verge of showing her heinous face if she didn't get to eat soon) and I was SO nervous I could hardly sit still in the waiting room. Finally, my name was called and we go in  the back where I am told to change and empty my bladder. Okay, now that that's done we sit in another waiting room for another half hour or so before the nurse comes in to take me away!

And here we go!
I am brought in to this small room (the same one my husband was in yesterday) and am asked to lay down on the bed. The nurse anesthetist was very nice, and made me feel as comfortable as possible while putting in the IV (which actually didn't hurt at all!). She dimmed the lights and said she was going to ease me into things by giving me small doses of sleepy drugs. I started to feel tired, kind of how I feel if I drink alcohol, before the buzz kicks in.  I remember laying there thinking how crazy this is. Sometimes it all becomes "real" to me. We are doing IVF to have a baby. Wow! What an experience.

 I could hear my heart rate going really fast, I asked her about it and she said it doesn't seem like it's anything more than nerves. This goes on for a while and finally she says it's time. She administers the mother of all sleepy drugs and tells me to scoot down the bed and put my legs in the stirrups (real attractive) and I am feeling SOOOO heavy, it's hard to move! Plus, the effin' drug she put in started stinging so bad I could hardly think of anything else! And that's the last thing I remember before waking up.

I think I "woke up" a few times after the surgery, one of which I recall thrashing my legs around and telling them it hurt, because it did, and them telling me not to do that. Haha, I couldn't help it! And finally I was awake and my husband was there with me. The nurse told me she gave me Benadryl to help with the itching, which I didn't notice any of, and then she had my husband give me some water through a straw and crackers. My mouth was so dry, even with drinking the water, that the crackers felt like I was eating sand. But I had to eat them so I could take the pain killer. Half of a Vicodin did the trick. I started feeling good pretty fast. I mean, as best as I can.

We sat there for a while before the let me get up. OUCH!! Holy mother, I was sore. I didn't think I would be this sore, everybody kept telling me that it would be mild cramping. This was not mild cramping, this was something else. So, I waddled my way to the bathroom and changed back into my clothes and then sat in the wheelchair. That was pretty fun, I hadn't been in one before so I was trying it out in the halls while we waited for the doctor to come back and talk to us.

Dr. K. came back about 15 minutes later and told us, are you ready for this? He told us they had harvested 26 eggs!!!! Wowza! No wonder I had been so bloated and sore. He said that is the amount they usually expect to get from a donor! Gooooo body! We were very happy to hear that. Anyway, so with 26 eggs and, now up to seven sperm, he said we definitely needed to get a donor to fertilize the rest of my eggs.

Okay, no problem, we had a donor picked out and the paperwork done. I could just call and tell them we were coming to get it. Uh, no. They were closed. What the heck????? Closed??? I was about to lose it when the doctor said that they had some sperm that other women had donated as they didn't use all of the vials and that we could look through their profiles to see if we liked any of them. We looked with a nurse for several minutes before deciding on one that actually sounded better than the one we had found online. So, the best part? Because the woman had donated it, we didn't have to pay for it. Score! That's $700 saved!

Next, the brought me out to the car in the wheelchair with my other half of a Vicodin and we were off!

For the rest of the day we just lazed around watching movies, as neither of us could move without enduring much pain.

'Til the next time!


- Sausha




Comments

Popular Posts